Boy, 5, suffers from severe burns after getting his hand stuck on a lightbulb
Vishal and his son Johaan (Image by MyLondon)
A five-year-old boy was left with severe burns after touching a lightbulb at a Croydon dessert shop which left him ‘traumatised’, unable to sleep and ‘scared to touch anything’.
Johaan Jain was with his father Vishal Jain and sister when the incident occurred at Crepes and Cones on South End, in South Croydon on Saturday, August 13. Vishal was asking the staff about allergen information when he saw the young boy touching the lamp. His hand got stuck to it as it was very hot.
Vishal, 29, told MyLondon, “He got stuck there for a few seconds and couldn’t move or talk. For about 20 seconds he was just holding it. I had to pull him out with my full strength. Once he was out he screamed and cried and now he is in terrible shock. After that he was hysterically crying for about 20 minutes, asking me if he was going to die.”
The Croydon man alleges that the staff at the dessert shop owned by rap duo Krept and Konan, did not offer much assistance or sympathies. They fetched a first aid kid but it did not have a burn cream.
He added that the staff claimed it was the first time that such an incident had occurred after his son was left with severe burns on his hand with blisters forming almost immediately.
Vishal then took Johaan to a nearby pharmacy where they were able to get a cream for burns and treat the wounds. He now has to apply the cream every day.
The father of two spoke of the lasting impact the incident had on his son saying, “He doesn’t want to touch anything now. And every night [since Saturday] he just hasn’t slept, he wants to come into our room. We sent him to a holiday club just to have a change of environment but nothing seems to help.”
He has now urged retailers to stock up on burn creams in first aid kits and to raise the alarm for other parents about lightbulbs being very hot.
Crepes and Cones, which first opened in May 2018, was an instant hit due to its famous multiple award-winning owners. However, the dessert parlour had to be shut due to the covid-19 pandemic in March 2020 and reopened earlier this year. MyLondon contacted Crepes and Cones for comment on the incident but did not receive a reply.